The Mission of the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board, in partnership with the family and church, is to provide, in a responsible manner, a Catholic education which develops spiritual, intellectual, aesthetic, emotional, social, and physical capabilities of each individual to live fully today and to meet the challenges of the future, thus enriching the community.
The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board is the successor to The Dufferin-Peel Roman Catholic Separate School Board, which was established in 1969 by the merger of eight small separate boards. The board’s jurisdiction extends throughout the municipalities of Mississauga, Brampton, Bolton, Caledon, Orangeville and Dufferin County. Dufferin-Peel is one of the largest and fastest growing school boards in Ontario.
Philosophy of Education
In 2003, the Board of Trustees adopted the following Philosophy of Education:
It is the goal of the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board to assist each child to grow in the Image of Christ and to develop all of his/her potentialities to serve man and thereby serve God. Under this Philosophy of Education, the Board endorses the following aims:
- That the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board supports the principle of Catholic education in its system from Junior Kindergarten to completion of a secondary school education for all students;
- To provide the conditions for a Catholic learning environment;
- To provide the necessities for educating children in its schools to the degree established by the Board, and supported by provincial revenues.
- To enable children to develop their individual aptitudes and to acquire skills essential to living in a contemporary changing society, and to ensure their proper physical and mental health;
- To encourage in children the desire to learn so as to understand better God's world;
- To provide every pupil with the opportunity to reach his or her full potential.
- To work and learn together as equals in a respectful, non-threatening environment is
the right of all and fundamental to our Catholic philosophy.
The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board includes the teaching of religion, family life, the practice of prayer and worship, and the presence of Gospel values in the curriculum and daily life in the schools. Schools have strong links to parishes and assist parishes with sacramental preparation. Parish staff conduct liturgies and provide other services within the schools. The Catholic school system maintains strong links between the home, school and church, and parental participation in the education of students is highly encouraged. These links provide for a natural reinforcement and development of Christian values in the Catholic tradition.
Our Community of Schools
The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board is one of the largest and most diverse school districts in Ontario with approximately 83,578 students (50,101 elementary and 33,477 secondary students) attending 149 schools (123 elementary and 26 secondary) located throughout Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon and Orangeville. In addition, over 46,000 students enrol in the board’s Adult and Continuing Education Programs each year. We strive to ensure that each school and board facility is a safe, caring, healthy and inclusive place, where each student has every opportunity to succeed.
At Dufferin-Peel, our goal is to provide quality Catholic education, which teaches students necessary life skills and prepares them for post-secondary education, the workplace, and for their role as responsible citizens. Our staff is among our greatest resources. The people we hire have a direct impact on the success of our students. With approximately 7,465 academic and 2,076 non-academic employees, Dufferin-Peel is one of the largest employers in the region.
School boards are encouraged to work with community partners in order to share facilities to the benefit of the boards, students and the community, and to optimize the use of public assets owned by school boards. Read More