Dear Parents and Guardians:
We strive to make sure that our school is a safe, caring, healthy and inclusive place in which to learn and to work. Fire drills, visitors’ badges/sign in and other safety and security protocols and practices are important components of our commitment to maintaining a safe and secure school environment.
You may be aware that, through the province's Safe School Welcome Program, our school received a grant that provides for the installation of a front door speaker/buzzer/video monitoring system. The installation of this system allows us to proactively enhance the safety and security of students and staff by locking the front doors after classes begin. This change in access to our school requires a new access protocol that will apply to all visitors, including parents and guardians. The new system will be installed and activated by the start of the 2013-14 school year this fall.
Under the new system, visitors may gain entrance by pressing a buzzer mounted on the wall outside the building, beside the front door. The buzzer activates a two-way speaker and camera system. The Office will then be able to determine who is at the door, by observing on a video monitor. This will enable better regulation of visitor access to the school.
The following are also part of our new protocol:
• All outside doors are locked and entry can be gained only through the front door.
• All visitors, including parents/guardians must sign into the office and wear a Visitor's badge
• Access during lunch time may be delayed depending on the availability of staff who are required to monitor the new system.
The co-operation and understanding of parents/guardians will be an important factor in the success of our new pprotocol. In this regard, parents/guardians are encouraged to:
• Arrive at school on time to allow children to enter with their classmates to avoid front entry lates.
• Send lunch with your child in the morning to limit traffic in through the front door at lunch time.
• We respectfull request that you limit your visits to the school during the daytime as much as possible in order to protect the instructional time and reduce interruptions.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation as we implement the new access protocol in September. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office.