Posted on: 11/13/17
Student-produced posters and minute of silence featured as part of Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week in Dufferin-Peel Catholic Schools
Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week in Ontario schools runs from November 19-25. The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board and its 149 schools have planned a wide range of events, activities and actions to highlight greater awareness and to promote a culture of care, respect and inclusion for all through efforts to eliminate bullying.
- Minute of Silence: On Monday, November 20 at 10:00 a.m., all Dufferin-Peel students and staff will join together in one minute of silence in recognition of all victims of bullying, including bystanders.
- Poster Campaign: A series of posters created by Dufferin-Peel students is being distributed to all schools. Each poster incorporates the header, "Stand Up! Against Bullying", as well as, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near." (Philippians 4:4-5). The posters can be viewed on the Board website.
- #DPStandUp Twitter Campaign: During Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week 2017, Dufferin-Peel is inviting all schools to share their events demonstrating ways in which Dufferin-Peel students stand up to bullying. Schools are encouraged to capture their events in pictures and video and post them on twitter using the hashtag #DPStandUp.
- What if Everybody did Something? Poster/Video Contest: Working in partnership with Peel Regional Police and the Peel District School Board, the What if Everybody did Something? Poster/Video Contest is for secondary students to create Cyberbullying Awareness posters and videos. The contest kicked-off on November 9.
- Online Reporting Tool: The online reporting tool allows for the anonymous reporting by students and others of bullying incidents and negative behaviours impacting the school community. The online reporting tool is available on the board and school websites.
- Bullying Prevention and Awareness Faith Resource Package: A resource package containing prayers, reflections and a liturgy has been distributed to all Dufferin-Peel schools. This will aid in increasing bullying awareness with a focus on creating a Catholic community of culture and caring.
"As all of us in education know, bullying awareness and prevention efforts are of great concern and play a large part in the life of our schools," said Marianne Mazzorato, director of education. "As a board, we concur with the Holy Father, Pope Francis, in calling for an end to 'aggression and bullying', recognizing the impact that bullying can have on our communities and individuals. By participating in Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week, our schools will be affecting positive change by promoting a safer learning environment for all."
In addition to the above initiatives, anti-bullying focused events, activities and actions are taking place at all Dufferin-Peel schools. These events are posted on the Board website.
Media is welcome to attend these events.
The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board is one of the largest school boards in Ontario with over 81,000 students in 149 schools located throughout Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon and Orangeville. The board is also one of the largest employers in the region with approximately 11,000 employees. For more information about the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board and Catholic schools in Peel Region and Dufferin County, visit us online at www.dpcdsb.org.
Nancy Marshall, Communications Officer, 905-890-0708 ext. 24278 or 416-788-9367