St. Cornelius Catholic Elementary School History
St. Cornelius Elementary School, which is at 16066 Innis Lake Road in Caledon East, was officially opened and blessed May 4, 1986, with Fr. L.A. Ramsperger presiding. The school was named in honour of Pope Cornelius (251–253) who challenged Christian persecution under Roman Emperor Gullus. Christians generally supported the "false" pope, Novatian, to avoid Cornelius’ penitent stand and Gullus’ wrath. It was also named in honour of another Cornelius, Cornelius Murphy, who had donated land to St. Cornelius church in 1834.
St. Cornelius lives out its motto, "Together in Faith and Excellence," in its many activities. It involves its approximately 700 students in social justice initiatives, including food drives, the annual appeal for ShareLife, and the outreach done by the Student Faith Ambassadors. These students organize clothing, food and toy drives, and monthly collections for Canadian Food for Children, as well as assist the Liturgical Committee in planning and implementing faith-based activities.
St. Cornelius School was officially opened and blessed on May 4, 1986. The theme for the blessing was "Bloom Where You're Planted".