Skip navigation
St. Dominic Catholic Elementary School
"Together we learn"
  • St. Dominic Catholic Elementary School
  • 515 Hartsdale Avenue
  • Mississauga ON , L5G 2G7
  • Principal: Laurie Mundy
  • Vice Principal(s):

  • Superintendents: Dulcie Belchior
  • Trustee: Mario Pascucci (Mississauga Ward 1)
+More School Info
School Site 

School History

School History

The founding of St. Dominic's predates our addition to the Dufferin Peel Separate School Board.  Separate School Section #7 of the Township of Toronto (Lakeview) originally purchased our land from Bonek Houses Ltd. and Rotman Building Company Ltd.  The St. Dominic site was purchased for $19,000 in 1954 and was built for $89,000.  St. Dominic opened its doors in September 1955 with Rita Depuis as principal. 

St. Dominic was originally named Queen of Heaven after our Blessed Mother but was changed to St. Dominic with the building of St. Dominic Church. 

In fact, the first St. Dominic parish Mass was celebrated in our very library in 1955 by our founding Dominican Pastor Father Charbonneau along with Fr. Robert and Fr. Drouin.  St. Dominic school was the site for parish masses until the first celebration at St. Dominic Roman Catholic Church on Christmas 1957.

The Lakeview area experienced tremendous growth during this early time period and construction for a second school, Queen of Heaven commenced in early 1960.  By September 1960 the two schools had a combined staff of fifteen teachers.  Over the next several years, additional construction occurred expanding St. Dominic.

In 1966, St. Dominic school board joined the Dufferin Peel family of schools.


back to top