Student Success At Goetz
- Choose your courses wisely.
Follow the rules and expectations! If you’re ever absent, be sure to catch up quickly. Do the work, especially if you do not want to!
- For compulsory credits, choose a level of course (essential, applied, academic) that suits your abilities. If you were failing or performing at a level 1 or 2 in a subject in elementary school, you generally should NOT be taking the academic level in that subject, especially for Math, Science and English (unless extraordinary circumstances stood in the way of your success at elementary).
- For elective credits, choose a level of course suited to your abilities and choose courses that best match your interests and talents.
Choose friends who attend class, do their class and homework and pass their courses! Ask your teacher as soon as you need help. If you’re struggling, get help; keep practising! If you do fail a course, hopefully you have worked hard enough to at least get a final mark between 40-49%.
- Pay attention and participate in class.
- Do the homework.
- Review class work regularly.
- Study for quizzes/ tests / exams.
- That will make you eligible for a Summer School Make-Up course (2 weeks vs. 4 weeks for a full credit – for students who fail with under a 40%) or for Credit Recovery courses or Alternative Education credits.
- Catch up on any failed credits as soon as possible, ideally in summer school.
Write your own success tips for high school below: