Multicultural Settlement and Education Partnership (MSEP)
(Support for Newcomer Families and Students)
The first few years in Canada are particularly difficult for newcomer students and their families.
To help address the various challenges associated to being new to Canada, settlement services are available in your school through your school Settlement Worker.
Your school Settlement Worker can provide the following services:
- Connects newly arrived families to services and resources in the school and the community in order to promote settlement and foster student achievement.
- Orient and explain essential school information and refer the newcomer student or family to the appropriate school staff as necessary.
- Can be an excellent source for school staff to get information on cultural issues, challenges and practices.
- Can help organize workshops for newcomer families and students on school and community resources.
- A source for multilingual videos, elementary and secondary school guides, posters and other tools that could be beneficial to teachers and newcomer families and students.
- A part of a multilingual team of settlement workers that could provide settlement services in many languages
MSEP services are available to all schools. To speak to the MSEP worker in your school call;
Hanan Amer Khan
School Settlement Worker
905 609 4116
Newcomer Centre of Peel
165 Dundas St W., Mississauga L5B 2N5
905 306 0577