Announcement - The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School board is pleased to announce the appointment of Brian Diogo to the position of Principal of St. James Catholic Global Learning Centre. This appointment is effective September 2013. Mr. Diogo is currently Principal at St. Helen Elementary School in Mississauga.
In September 2013, the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board will open a new regional elementary school in the Port Credit area of Mississauga. The St. James Catholic Global Learning Centre will provide diverse and specialized learning opportunities to students from Kindergarten to Grade 6, with a global focus consistent with Dufferin-Peel’s tradition of excellence in Catholic education. Modelled after an internationally recognized program, the Global Learning Centre will teach the Ontario Curriculum via an integrated, inquiry-based approach, aligned with the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations.
Once the new centre has been established, an application for formal certification as an International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program site will be launched.
St. James Catholic Global Learning Centre opens its doors in September 2013 on the site of St. James Catholic School. The school was one of the oldest in Dufferin-Peel, going back to the late 1950's. St. James closed in 2009.
St. James CGLC opens its doors to students, parents and community at Open House on Thursday, August 29, 2013.
Excerpts from Our Story. Our Tradition. Our Journey.: Celebrating the Church-School Connection in Dufferin-Peel
"To meet needs in the Clarkson/ Lorne Park area, Fr. Sheridan asked some parishioners in to form a school board. In 1959, the board established St. James Catholic School, which helped alleviate overcrowding at St. Mary in Port Credit and reduced expenditures because it was costly to bus students to St. Mary from areas beyond Port Credit. St. James began with 129 students who studied in portables at Riverside Public School in Port Credit until March of 1960. The school was named in honour of Monsignor James Sheridan, the long-time pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish." -p.78
"Nestled in a residential area of Port Credit, St. James served a diverse population....The school, which was named in honour of Monsignor James Sheridan, the long-tme pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish, is dedicated to St. James the Lesser, a cousin of our Lord." p. 171