John Lepage (Teacher-Librarian, St. Joseph S.S.)
What is Advanced Placement?
Advanced Placement (AP) is an internationally recognized program where students are given the opportunity to learn following an enriched curriculum at an accelerated rate with the aim of earning university level credit while still in high school.
For Grade 8 student's interested in the Advanced Placement Program. A link to our Grade 8 Presentation (both AP and Regular Stream) is posted on our Guidance page.
AP Application Packages
Download here: AP Application for September 2022.pdf
1) Download, complete, and return the package to the school from Monday, December 6th, 2021 and Friday, December 10th, 2021 between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.
2) When you arrive at the front doors of the school please call: 905 812 1376 and choose option 2. The Guidance Department will be happy to meet you to receive the AP Application.3) From Monday, January 31st to Friday, February 4th, 2022 - Applicants will be informed about the status of their applications via e-mail.
4) On Friday, February 25th, 2022, successful AP candidates will be asked to submit their school activity fee of $65.
What is the Regional Advanced Placement at St. Joseph Secondary School?
Our school offers a comprehensive four year program. The program is designed to offer students the flexibility to customize their learning experience by selecting which specific subjects they wish to study at the AP level and which subject they wish to study following the regular Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum. This gives students the opportunity to delve deeper into specific subjects that are of particular interest to them while maintaining a high level of learning in all of their courses.
How does the Advanced Placement Program work?
Starting in Grade 9 students select which subjects they wish to study at the enriched AP level. Courses in Grade 9 through Grade 11 are known as Pre-AP courses. Which Pre-AP courses a student has taken will determine what AP courses they can take in Grade 12. Upon completion of a Grade 12 AP course students will have the opportunity to complete the AP Exam for that subject. Those who successfully write an AP Exam will be granted an AP credit. AP credits are recognized by universities throughout Canada and around the world.
For a PDF version of the above chart click here.
Some schools offer AP courses starting only in Grade 12. St. Joseph Secondary School is able to offer Pre-AP courses starting in Grade 9. This means that the extra work required to earn an AP credit is distributed more evenly between grades. Students experience an enriched learning environment for a longer period of time.
For a chart comparing the full four year AP program at St. Joseph S.S. to other programs please click here.
Pre-AP Math Presentation
What kind of students are we looking for?
Advanced Placement is a limited enrollment program available to all high achieving students who reside in the City of Mississauga.
To be successful in our AP Program students should be self-motivated learners who are not afraid to accept new challenges. Students should be able to work effectively on their own and in collaboration with others.
We are a Catholic school that welcomes all students regardless of their background. Our Faith is integral to our school and this is reflected in the values we teach in all parts of our curriculum. As such, our expectation is that all our students be of good character and demonstrate a willingness to use what they are taught for the betterment of society.
How to Apply for the Advanced Placement Program
*St. Joseph SS Pre-AP has a limited enrollment. Please take the time to thoroughly complete all sections of the application.
The Advanced Placement Application Package Includes:
- Section I – Student Information
- Section II – Pre-AP Course Selection
- Section III – School Involvement
- Section IV – Community Involvement
- Section V – Awards and Distinctions
- Section VI – Student Response
- Grade 7 Final Report Card
- Grade 8 November Progress Report
Packages must be complete to be accepted.
1) December - The deadline for submitting AP applications is December 10th, 2021.
Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, December 6th, 2021.
Forward any questions to: JOESSGuidance@dpcdsb.org.
2) From Monday, January 31st to Friday, February 4th, 2022 - Applicants will be informed about the status of their applications via e-mail.
3) On Friday, February 25th, 2022, successful AP candidates will be asked to submit their school activity fee of $65.
The Advanced Placement Application is now available. See above.
NOTE: Please open the AP Application file with a program that is compatible with .pdf formatted documents (i.e. Adobe)
Bus Availability and Transportation
A school provided bus service for our AP Regional Program is not available. However, private transportation services are available. Information regarding one of these services can be found at http://www.bustoschool.com/.
Direct service to the school is also provided by MiWay public transit.