Bishop Philip F. Pocock
Born St. Thomas, Ontario and studied at St. Peter's Seminary, London, Ontario. In 1933 he left his parish to studied canon law in Rome (graduating with a Doctorate in Canon Law). He was ordained priest in 1930 and became a professor at St. Peter's Seminary in London, Ontario teaching Moral Theology and Canon Law.
He was appointed Bishop of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1944 and Apostolic Administrator of Winnipeg and Titular Archbishop of Aprus in 1951. The following year he succeeded as Archbishop of Winnipeg.
In 1961, Pocock left Winnipeg and became Coadjutor Archbishop of Toronto and Titular Archbishop of Isauropolis to assist the then ailing Archbishop, Cardinal James Charles McGuigan.
He succeeded as Archbishop of Toronto in 1971 and served until he resigned in 1978.
He resigned as Archbishop in 1978 and return to life as a parish priest at St Mary's Parish in Brampton, Ontario. At St. Mary's Pocock remained active as a priest, celebrating mass, confirmations, and visiting a senior citizens' home. He was later given the title of Archbishop Emeritus of Toronto.
He died on September 6, 1984 and was interred in Holy Cross Cemetery in Thornhill, Ontario.
During his time as Archbishop, Pocock established several institutions and charities:
- Archdiocesan Pastoral Council and the Senate of Priests
- improved Catholic education standards
- create Sharelife - replacing the Council of Catholic Charities due to opposition to United Way's support of Planned Parenthood clinics
- lobbying for legislation against pornography
- encouraging interfaith relations and activities
He encouraged the laity to become involved in church decisions, the liturgy, and charitable works. He helped consecrate two auxiliary bishops; Thomas B. Fulton and Aloysius Ambrozic, with the latter becoming Cardinal Archbishop of the diocese.
By Michael Swan, The Catholic Register
May 12, 2016
Watch the video
Philip Pocock Catholic Secondary School
Philip Pocock Catholic Secondary School is a secondary school of approximately 1,350 students. Philip Pocock was established in 1981 to support Catholic parents in their responsibility for the spiritual, moral, academic and physical needs of their children.
The permanent home of Philip Pocock Catholic Secondary School - Completed in 1992
The first Philip Pocock Campus Now known as John Cabot Catholic Secondary School.
The second Philip Pocock Campus: Formerly Vincent Massey Collegiate in Etobicoke