Newcomer Reception & Assessment Centres
In harmony with the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board’s mission, and in partnership with schools, the Newcomer Reception and Assessment Centres provide families and students with a welcoming and supportive introduction to the Ontario school system. Through a clearly defined initial assessment process, the students’ abilities, talents and interests are recognized and shared, enabling a smoother entry into the school community.
St. Isaac Jogues School (300 Great Lakes Drive, Brampton, ON L6R 2W7)
St. Veronica School (680 Novo Star Drive, Mississauga, ON L5W 1C7)
Call to make an appointment:
Newcomer Reception & Assessment Centre Brochure (available in 10 languages)
What We Do:
- Welcome newcomer students and their families
- Introduce them to the Ontario elementary and secondary school system
- Offer settlement support through Multicultural Settlement and Education Partnership (MSEP)
- Assess English language proficiency and knowledge of mathematics
- Suggest placement for secondary school students based on school transcripts, assessment results and age
- Counsel secondary school students in choice of program/courses and post-secondary destinations
- Send the assessment report to the school of registration
Who needs an assessment?
- Any student who is new to Canada, entering the Ontario school system for the first time (SK-Grade 12)
- Any student from a French language school in Canada
- Any student who is new to the Dufferin-Peel CDSB, without a Report Card, and who has been in the Ontario school system less than three months (e.g., transfers from other school boards)
- Any student from the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, or Australia who has spent less than four years in an English language school system
Who can register at Dufferin-Peel Catholic Schools?
Elementary admissions are open to Catholic children and children of Catholic parents. Secondary school admissions are under the provincially legislated Open Access and all students are admitted.
How to Register:
1. Parents/guardians are to register their child online using the Online Application System.
2. Receive email confirmation acknowledging receipt of the online Application Form with further instructions regarding providing supporting documentation. Once supporting documentation has been received at the school office and verified, registration is approved and the student is enrolled.
3. An assessment appointment is made with one of the Newcomer Reception and Assessment Centres.
Length of assessment appointment:
- Elementary Students: 1-2 hours
- Secondary Students: 3-5 hours
International students, refugee claimants, or students on work/study permit must have a Letter of Permission issued by the Admissions Department. For more information, email email@example.com call 905-890-0708 ext. 24512.